New Every Morning

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Two things can happen when we meet someone: either we become friends, or we try to convince the other person to accept our convictions. The same happens when the ember meets another piece of coal: either it shares its fire with it, or it is suffocated by its size and ends up extinguished.

As we are generally insecure at a first contact, we try indifference, arrogance or excessive humility. The result is that we stop being who we are and things start heading towards a strange world that does not belong to us.
- Epictetus

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Great one! This picks up on the other day's quote about speaking your mind. It's funny how we want someone to like us for who we really are, but that the moment we are given an opportunity to show ourselves we get frightened and try to act as "normal" as possible.

In reality, we should embrace all rejection as it really just narrows down the selection to just those who really like you for you. Get rejected enough, in fact, and you'll end up with just the few people in the world who think you're DA BOMB!

12:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree with you more Naomi. I think over time we (or atleast I) realize that its not the number of people you "know," but the quality of the people you know. I know of some people who seem to 'know' hundreds of other people but can hardly relate to any of them. On the flip side, I also know some people that only have a handfull of friends and couldn't care about meeting other people cuz then they would have to behave 'normally' - well not couldn't care but wouldn't go out of their way for the sake of adding people to their friendster list.

1:55 PM  
Blogger Kris said...

I concur. Quality over quantity, fer sure. And when you're really comfortable just being yourself (granted, working towards being the best version of yourself), you'll find people are drawn to your genuineness and sincerity.

3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home