I participated in a budgeting workshop last night, and this was one of my key takeaways:
Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness. Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one elementary truth the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents, meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamt would have come his way. - W.H. Murray, The Scottish Himalaya Expedition
This is a very Paulo Coelho-esque idea and one I totally buy into, that once you commit to something, the universe conspires to help you make it happen.

8 Comments:
This makes so much sense to me. When you set your heart to doing something, magical things seem to happen. For one, you aren’t concentrated on the work as much as the reward of finishing, of reaching your goal… Maybe all the ‘help’ is an illusion, since, having comitted to your goal, giving up is no longer an option and the excuses you could have used to give up are pointless.
(But, I had some beer with lunch, not much, but enough to make me think I may not be making that much sense….)
This brings to mind a quote, attributed to Mother Theresa (by a friend of a friend of a friend who worked with her.... too many degrees of separation?), that stuck with me.
"Be shameless when asking for others."
If you refuse to take "no" for an answer in your pursuits, then there is no other option but to successfully attain your goal...
I was about to add "in theory" to the end of that, because there are so many roadblocks, it seems like you can't ALWAYS acheive your goal. But I suppose that must be due to a lack of COMPLETE commitment.
Sure mate, sometimes, you've just gotta have that black and tan. The whole worlds just conspires in your favor.... haha..
cheers mate,
Diggidy dog, rocking.. ha!
With all of the above, I agree. Commitment, the ability to have faith in the midst of trials and tribulations, is what makes the impossible possible.
Anything is possible. A caveman would have thought you were crazy if you described ANY of the objects we find common today.
Commitment is different from effort. In the same way all the things we use in today's modern world took thousands of years to create, everything we want to do in our life happens over time. One step at a time.
I mean, if we look at things like the evolution of man over the ages... we realize that even what seemed impossible, becomes possible. Not because we necessarily reach for it, but because we don't give up. From the wheel, we got a cart, then a carriage, then trains and cars...
Maybe as an alternative to set concrete goals, we can consider committing to growth within ourselves. And if the example of the wheel is anything to go by, then by the end of our journey, we'll be entirely different people than we are today.
(I am not saying that we should set concrete goals for ourselves and commit to them also. Just that when we look at personal growth we all ahve a tendancy to want it NOW.)
I take Bikram yoga. It's 90 mins in a hot room where you do the same 26 poses day after day aftre day.
There are days when I walk into class feeling blah, and mentally tell myself I'll take it easy. I just don't feel like pushing myself. But then, during the first pose I think "Well, it's only 60 seconds long... I'll just push it a little", and every little step along the way, I renew my committment and push myself jsut a little bit harder. It's different from saying at the beginning "I'm going to do this entire class with 100% focus and determination" because it's less daunting. but at the end of the class, I have put all my effort and heart into it by simply re-evaluating my level of committment.
Committment is different for everything we do, but the important thing is to remember that everything we do can be broken down into steps, and each individual step is very very easy.
I tend to look at a task as a whole, and as a result, I often am daunted at just the prospect of starting. Instead, a lot of people seem to break things down into parts, and then tackle one part at a time. I'm starting to see the merits of the latter approach.
But the merits of being in a heated room for ninety minutes, and being made to do all those yoga poses? I can't even touch my toes. That class sounds very painful, no matter how you mentally break down those ninety minutes. But good on you, Naomi. I think you're crazy, but I respect that. lol.
Post a Comment
<< Home