New Every Morning

Monday, April 03, 2006

Our chief want in life is somebody who shall make us do what we can. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

I really think we look to other people to believe in us, to tell us that we can do what we believe, deep down, that we can. Sometimes, we even need somebody who pushes us to step out beyond our comfort zone, to achieve more than we dared hope to achieve.

Are you an inspiration to the people who depend upon you to help them believe that they too can realize their dreams?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree with that. I doubt there is anyone 'successful' here who didn't have either a friend or family member tell them that they could "do it." I try to play my part and encourage my friends as best I can. However, there are some people out there that no matter how much you try to encourage them, it is of little use. Some people just to do not believe in themselves as much as you might believe in them. As long as they are stuck in that frame of mind, you are stuck trying to convince them otherwise. There is a lot more to it than just that of course, but this is just a very basic view of the whole concept that I have.

10:08 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That's very true Sphote...

What's that saying? "Behind every great man is a great woman"? Obviously, you can replace man with woman etc... But it seems that being surrounded by people who are a positive influence on you can really push you higher.

Why else would your parents make such a big deal about your 'bad friends'?

2:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the parents and "bad" friends example doesn't really relate since I'm sure my friend's parents think I'm a "bad" friend and I know my parents think some of my friends are "bad" influences. This doesn't stop us from being friends through thick and thin though... You can't let other people define what is good or bad for you.

3:53 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Vimala, I like that you reminded us all that our parents are our best friends. That is such a lovely way to put it...

1:28 PM  
Blogger Kris said...

I remember reading in psych (I think) that you can tell so much about someone by meeting their three closest friends. We pick up so much, from mannerisms to values, from the people we choose to spend our time with.

11:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even though parents want the best, they may not always know what's best... That's what I was trying to say!

12:49 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I've been thinking about the idea of soul mates - and I think one aspect of being someone's soulmate is that you have to be able to push them to the place they can and desrve to be. And never let them give up...

12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home