New Every Morning

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Transforming Truths

There are truths that people do not wish to acknowledge, because if - upon closer inspection - they are found to be real, they necessitate a change in the way we live our lives.

For example:

Truth: No one knows how long any of us will be around.

Consequence: There isn't time to harbor a grudge against the people you love, to allow misunderstandings to take away from the precious time you have with your significant other, your parent, your sibling, your best friend, or your neighbor.

Truth: Sometimes people need to hear that you love them (I'm thinking a parent and a child, but I think this applies to most of our significant relationships, if not all of them).

Consequence: It may be uncomfortable and difficult to get those words out, but it gives the other person in that relationship the space to grow, to be able to risk striving to accomplish difficult things with the assurance that they are loved for who they are and regardless of whether or not they are successful at what they do.

I'm going to keep adding to this list as examples come to me, but there are so many, and I would love to hear from all of you. Please do share, if you feel so inclined.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I struggle with whether this is a truth, but...

Truth: God exists and he loves me.

Consequence: I dunno, but I guess that changes a whole buncha things. There's more to this life than what I want and maybe life isn't over when I die?

1:22 PM  
Blogger Kris said...

Wow! This is the big question, and I don't quite know how to respond. If you look through this blog, I think it's pretty apparent where I stand.

But, at the end of the day, this is between you and God. I, for one, think it's a great sign that you're even struggling with these matters of faith. Too many people can't be bothered these days, it seems.

This is a verse that gives me encouragement when God doesn't seem to make sense, causing me to question everything, and I hope it helps you in your search for truth:

Matthew 7:7:

Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:

4:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home