New Every Morning

Monday, November 06, 2006

Unconditional Love

Marley was undeniably a handful. He was nothing like the stately dogs both of us had grown up with. He had a host of bad habits and behaviors. Guilty as charged. He also had come a great distance from the spastic puppy we had brought home two years earlier. In his own flawed way, he was trying. Part of our journey as his owners was to mold him to our needs, but part also was to accept him for what he was. Not just to accept him, but to celebrate him and his indomitable canine spirit. We had brought into our home a living, breathing being, not a fashion accessory to prop in the corner. For better or worse, he was our dog. He was a part of our family, and, for all his flaws, he had returned our affection one hundredfold. Devotion such as his could not be bought for any price. - John Grogan, Marley & Me, p. 142

I am moved by the compassion that this man felt for his dog, but I also feel dejected because I see how much I have to learn about loving without condition, without stipulation. I feel like my take on relationships is very "transactional". I'm always considering what the other person has to offer - be it an attentive ear, entertaining company, or prestige by association. I'm not actually consciously thinking these thoughts each time I meet someone new, but the thoughts are there, albeit buried deep down somewhere.

I'll always remember a conversation I had with a girl I dated in high school. She tried to explain to me how she was sure she loved the people she did unconditionally. I didn't buy her explanation and I tried to point out that there's always something in it for yourself when you invest in someone else, if you're just honest with yourself and willing to really consider your deepest motivations. Over the years, I think I've discovered that my take on love is colored by the way I am and that makes me sad. It's hard for me to admit that I didn't allow myself to believe in the validity of other people's loves when I had never felt that same emotion (or is it devotion?) myself. Realizing that now, I want to learn to love without having that love centered on myself. How? Is that even something you can learn?

4 Comments:

Blogger Kris said...

The times I've felt closest to loving selflessly have come when I feel like my relationship with God has been right. Then, I feel that my love towards others comes out of the love that is within, from my relationship with God. It's awfully difficult to act out of that relationship though because I want to revert back to what I know, acting out of self-interest.

6:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

GOD HIMSELF IS LOVE AND THE FRUIT OF THE SPIRIT INCLUDES LOVE, joy peace....
"Treating others as more important than yourself" is one of the best defenitions of Love. Compared to this other defenitions in the world look hollow and lightweight.The bible cuts through all of the haze and says that if you want one clear defenition of what love is; treat every person as though they were more important than you. This means that we should treat family, friends,employees, minorities etc as though they were more important than we are.To hold them in high esteem,to respect them,to believe that they have something to contribute to your life.
Most of us have no problem treating celebrity as more important than ourselves. The war begins when we are called to treat everyone with this same level of care and dignity.God is wonderful and amazing. He treats us as celebrities. We are VIPs in His sight. He loved us so much that while we were yet sinners,He gave us His son for us(so He loved us more than His son).What greater motivation could we have to love others? "Whoever does not love, does not know God because GOD IS LOVE". 1JOHN 4:8

10:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agreed that it’s difficult (read: impossible) without a right relationship with God – because He is your source. Check out the following excerpt from Utmost on this (from July 2):

"No one on earth has this passionate love for the Lord Jesus unless the Holy Spirit has given it to him. We may admire, respect, and revere Him, but we cannot love Him on our own. The only One who truly loves the Lord Jesus is the Holy Spirit, and it is He who has "poured out in our hearts" the very "love of God" (Romans 5:5)."

My takeaway is that we are, indeed, capable of unconditional love for God and for others - but only by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Hey, make sure you discuss this further with Dave on Thursday, by the way – he got me to start thinking about it differently by flatly contradicting my views on this in our very first conversation (I was fully convinced at the time that we, as humans, are simply not capable of loving unconditionally).

10:59 AM  
Blogger Kris said...

Mom and Dad - I agree that if God and love are the same, it is so important that we strive to strengthen our relationship with God, out of which we are able to manifest love (the essence of God) within all of our other relationships.

Sis - Thanks for sharing. I'm looking forward to chatting with Dave about this, especially since you found his argument so compelling.

1:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home