New Every Morning

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan


I watched Borat a couple nights ago and I really enjoyed it. Parts of it were just unnecessarily outrageous, like when Borat and his Kazakh producer wrestle naked, and I preferred the parts that shed light on Americans' xenophobia, homophobia, and anti-Semitism*. Here's an interesting Slate article that speaks to just that, by comparing Borat from HBO to Borat from the movie:

THE BORAT MOVIE: THEY BOTCHED THE JOKE.

While I don't agree with the article's conclusion, it brings up interesting points about why Borat is funny on different levels. I think the movie is different, but it's still a fascinating insight into the American psyche, and it's very funny even when it's just totally out there.

Also, if you haven't watched the movie yet, pay special attention to the scene where Borat is all on his own, penniless and despondent, with just his rooster for company. I actually felt bad for him and I remember being struck by that because, in my mind, that's an indication of how convincingly Sacha Baron Cohen takes on the part of Borat.

* Don't get me wrong. While xenophobia, homophobia, and anti-Semitism definitely exist in the US, I still believe people are more tolerant here than anywhere else in the world. After all, no one shot Borat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home