New Every Morning

Saturday, April 15, 2006

from Naomi:

The best way to find someone you want to be with forever is to become that person yourself. - Patricia H. Taylor

When I first read this, I realized it could be interpreted two ways. The first is the 'loner' interpretation - where you literally become the person you want to be with forever. And the second interpretation is where you become someone like someone you want to be with forever. In my opinion, both interpretations are flawed: one obviously much more than the other.

In the second interpretation, if we take it too literally we run the risk of becoming intolerant of another's differences. There is a fine line between what we can expect in another person without compromising their freedom. I, personally, believe that the big core values can be asked for and expected in a partner while the nuances can not. To me this is a little like house hunting: you can be inflexible when it comes to things such as how many bedrooms a house has and where it is located - but if you start expecting things such as wall color and furniture placement, you might have to look very long. And of course the risk is, that what is in your mind may not be what you really need.

Nik's response:

Makes complete sense.

The one thing I have realized though, from a lot of talking with my parents and others, that marriage or a long term relationship is all about compromise. I don't know if talking about marriage is stretching the subject but in the end it's not about a connection. I've always been obsessed with finding this connection with the other person. But in the end it's about MAKING a relationship WORK. Which is hard WORK. (Sorry for the all caps) Anyway, I think it's about firstly knowing yourself really well. You have to know who you are before you can truly know who you want to spend the rest of your life with.

Don't know if I took this to a 'whole nother level :)

my two cents:

I'm going to run with Nik's statement, that it takes determined effort to make a relationship work. I read the following passage when I was going through a slightly rocky time in my relationship with Val, and it reminded me that love doesn't actually look like it does in the movies:

Risky, yes, but each of us, based on experiences we'd recently had, believed firmly that love, deep abiding love, willing the best for another and putting yourself second, is not left to chance, but rather is a decision, a commitment we hold the power to make in our very own hands. Every day, in every area of our lives, each of us individually can decide to love-to love when hurt, when down, when struggling, when afraid, when powerful, when weak, when doubting, when sure. And God's love had taught us well that such a decision is always within our grasp. - Eleanor Sampeck in Seasons of Love: A Journey of Faith, Family, and Community

A relationship isn't always going to be new and exciting, and it's not just about feeling a connection. A lot of making a relationship work is deciding to love even when that's not what you want to do. I would go so far as to say that, without such a commitment, you will never give the other person the space to be comfortable being themselves, and you'll have sabotaged the relationship before it even really has a chance to begin. Further, you'll never be able to accurately assess how important a relationship is to you if you don't see what it can be when you give it your all. The alternative is to live with the uncertainty and, possibly, the regret of losing something that might have been great because you weren't willing to fight for it.

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I agree with both of your points guys - but I still think that there is an initial attraction/connection that has to be there. And I believe that you have to strive for it to be as strong as possible and as close to your idea of true, real love for it to ultimately work. Otherwise we may all as well choose the next person who agrees to settle down with us - and work hard for it.

2:08 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh and Kris, I LOVE that quote. I'm putting it up on my wall...

2:09 PM  
Blogger Kris said...

I agree with you, Naomi. How do you know that the person you happen to be seeing now is the right person for you down the road? I think it takes time before you'll know for certain. My point is that you should give every relationship you're in a 100% and evaluate from that perspective. Then, if it doesn't work out, you'll know that it wasn't meant to be, precisely because you gave it your all and it still didn't work out. You'll understand why it didn't work, and if both parties gave a 100%, you'll probably part ways amicably.

Does that make sense?

3:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Right, but Kris - what makes you decide to enter into a relationship with someone? I agree with the idea that you give your all to every relationship you are in. But, we obviously don't choose random strangers on the street to become our potential life mates. So, I still think that there is something special, some spark, some understanding, something, that has to be there before we can start working with another person.

And, what I am saying is that the stronger that initial spark - the more likely two people will be willing to put in the effort to sustaining a relationship. To go back to my initial question - I wonder if it possible to decide ahead of time what constitutes 'a spark' for us (meaning, can we ask for specific things or not in another person).

1:32 PM  
Blogger Kris said...

Why would you be with someone with whom you don't sense the spark?

1:05 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Right. I know - you wouldn't. Umm. I confused myself again.

What was I saying?

I think my original point was that when you set out to look for love, tehre are certain things you can ask for, and others you have to let happen. Certain characteristics, vales etc.

But I got lost in the loopty loops of my arguement. I am sooooo not a debater.

11:31 AM  
Blogger Kris said...

I think this idea is very important, and we should come back to it in the future. What are characteristics in someone that are "deal breakers", which without you're not willing to consider long-term prospects? I'm guessing that a lot of how you answer this question is very personal, but maybe there are some more universal criteria with subtle, individual variations.

9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home