New Every Morning

Monday, May 07, 2007

The Stupid Jersey City Parking Authority

As my roommate, Abhi, and I were leaving our apartment this afternoon, we were surprised to see what he thought looked like a ticket on the windshield of his car. It looked too big to be a ticket though, so I told him it must be some kind of pamphlet or advertisement. When we got to the car, it was a warning notice informing us not to tamper with the boot that had been placed on his car. There was also a ticket for having parked for too long without a valid permit in a zoned area. That didn't make any sense. Abhi had just driven to the apartment to get lunch, and had been there for less than an hour. The sign on the street stated that we could park there for up to two hours without a permit. Confused, we tried to figure out what had happened and why on Earth Abhi's car had a boot on it. He had no outstanding tickets. Over the course of the day, and after multiple trips to the Jersey City Parking Authority building, we discovered the following:
  1. You can't park in a zoned area for more than two hours over the course of the stated time. So, if the sign says you can park for two hours in a zoned area between 9 AM and 5 PM, that's the total amount of time you can be parked in ANY spot on ANY street in that zone. That's the most ridiculous rule, and I know of no other city that has such a rule. Basically, that means you can't park in a zoned area without a permit even if you move the car after two hours and find another spot even on a different street. Abhi's "offense" was that a parking officer had noticed his car on the street in the morning and again in the afternoon, even though it was parked in two different spots.

  2. You can get booted without having any prior offenses. In fact, Abhi's car was booted at the same time he got the ticket. What does that achieve? The whole point of booting a car is to ensure payment from people who have lots of past tickets that have gone unpaid and ignored. Why does a first offense merit a boot? Ridiculous.

  3. The Parking Authority and the municipality don't fall under the same jurisdiction. The Parking Authority is an independent contractor working for the city. Therefore, payment must be made to the Parking Authority to remove a boot and payment must be made to the municipality for the ticket. Also, you can't contest a boot by going to court to fight the accompanying ticket. The best you can hope for is that the judge will recommend to the Parking Authority that the boot fee be refunded. Considering that the Parking Authority makes $75 off each boot, what do you think the chances are that they're going to refund a payment that they've already received?
Abhi and I are outraged that such a scheme exists in America whereby a for-profit organization working under the municipality's auspices can rip people off. Judging by the number of people at the Jersey City Parking Authority building who had stories similar to ours, we think this is the kind of thing that someone has to take a stand against. I think the best course of action for us, personally, is to take this thing to traffic court (when we dispute the ticket) and see what channels to pursue to find out who keeps the Parking Authority accountable. But to fight for the principle of the thing, we should probably also tell our story to a local paper. I hope we do, and that we don't just let this go because it's too much of an inconvenience to pursue the matter.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i know a couple of reporters that work for jersey papers/jersey additions of new york papers. lemme know if you want to really go to the press with this.

-m

6:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi. I am a RESIDENT of Jersey City and had my Dad's car parked on my street (I borrowed it to go to Physical Therapy) and got ticketed and booted. The JCPA states on it's website:

The Jersey City Parking Authority was founded in 1949 to insure that adequate on-street parking was available for homeowners, residents, visitors, shoppers and delivery vehicles in the State’s second largest municipality. In the 1950’s and 1960’s, the demand for on-street parking was increasing as more automobiles poured into the City from suburban communities, with a majority of their occupants destined for work locations across the Hudson River in New York City.

They have not increased Parking (just ask my dad who grew up there, there has BEEN NEVER enough parking) and they are blight to residences and businesses because you have to live in fear that you too will be ticketed.

I am going to traffic court, and would TOTALLY go to the Jersey Journal about this. I was recently published for the towing scam they got going in BJs downtown, you could leave the lot without being towed. IF JC wants to welcome new business they need to act accordingly because they are creating an environment that is downright UNFRIENDLY.

8:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. My ticket was for that same MONDAY! They must have been on the look.

8:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The JCPA is not subsidized by the city of Jersey City, it is it's own entity hired by the State. Some say because it goes over budget every year it is SUBSIDIZED, but that will need further research. Since they are “autonomous” the Mayor's office has no control over them, they just enforce the law. I spoke to Mr. Lerner that works at the JCPA and he was a just delightful and said pay 300 buck that is all we can do for you. NOT a problem solver. NOT someone who wants to help the residents or our guests.

So I am going to talk to my Council Person (in person), I talked to the Mayor’s office to get a list of people with the same complains to present, and I might have to talk at the Council meeting on May 23. What everyone said is FIGHT the ticket. I can hopefully solve the problem that shifts parking away from the CAR and towards the residents and OUR rights.

12:42 PM  
Blogger Kris said...

hb:
You're my hero.

I think I'm going to see if the local papers are interested in doing a story about how crazy it is that there's no way to challenge the JCPA's (oftentimes arbitrary) judgments. There isn't even some sort of appeals division. How does one argue one's case? And who holds the JCPA accountable?

2:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was in court today and got my ticket reduced from 42 to 12. The judge said I parked there illegally without a permit, but had sympathy for my story (I still had to pay the 75 for the boot).

After that I went to City Call to talk to the folks at the Mayor’s Action Bureau. They had already called the JCPA various times for me after my unsuccessful talk with Mr. Lerner, and still the same answer was given, 300 bucks or you cannot park the car. See the JCPA is enforcing an ordinance whose purpose is to keep outsiders from storing their cars here as they worked in NYC.

I am not doing this and neither were you, but it is enforced just the same. There is no way to appeal that (I brought that up with my Councilman), or a price system that would offer residence a better deal them 300 bucks, or a voucher program that residents can offer guest parking without dealing to the JCPA.

Parking has been a problem in Jersey City since my father lived there, that is almost 50 years of no one doing a damned thing about the lack of space. But they can ticket and boot and there is nothing we can do about it? Right. Tomorrow I am calling the Councilman at Large and setting up an appointment to talk about this.

CHECK OUT:
http://www.channel125.com/tp12.htm

There is a special on the JCPA.

12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home