New Every Morning

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Kodi Reunions

I don't know how to explain this phenomenon to people who didn't go to Kodi (Kodaikanal International School), but when we meet other people from our high school, it's like we share this instant bond. Maybe it's a boarding school thing? Maybe it's shared nostalgia? Maybe there's a self-selection - or perhaps, more accurately, a parent-selection - bias because a lot of us share similar backgrounds as Indians who grew up all over, or in a very multicultural setting? That's why, I guess, our parents saw fit to send us to an international school on a mountain in Tamil Nadu, India. To gain further "cultural perspective". I don't quite know.

Anyway, what I find even more amazing is how well I've gotten along with people I've met recently who I didn't know (and some I frankly didn't like) in high school.

Whatever our shared camaraderie stems from, it makes for great stories about the good old days, which are oft-repeated, much to the chagrin of my non-Kodi friends who have heard the same stories sooo many times. But, I must say... It's terribly amusing for us Kodi Kids, even when we're hearing the same story for like the hundredth time.

The picture above is from when a bunch of us in New York, who don't normally get together, went out for drinks because Fazle is working here temporarily and he wanted to get together with the New Yorkers he knew from high school. To be honest, I was a little nervous about meeting these people, some of whom I hadn't seen in like eight years, but I'm glad I went.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Last night I met someone who, when I told him I went to school in Kodi, said "Aaaaaaaah" as if it explained something about me he hadn't been able to understand before. He then went on to rattle off a huge long list of names of people he knew who went there (I didn;t know any of them)... and seemed to sincerely regret not having been there himself. This was some random dude from Zambia.

I only went to Kodi for one year ages ago, but I swear, I'll be ninety and my nursing home neighbor will be a Kodiite.

10:37 AM  
Blogger Bruce Lewis said...

This also applies to folks who taught there, Kris.

Actually, though, I don't think I know any of the people in this picture beside you. At least you're the only one in the photo I can identify.

11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I doubt I'll ever get tired of "both the three of you get out of my class"...no matter how many times its been told - classic!

11:49 AM  
Blogger Kris said...

Naomi: lol. There is no getting away from Kodi people. We're everywhere.

Bruce: I don't know if you would know any of the other people in the picture. Do you remember Fazle Chowdhury (on the far left) or Monika Kushwaha (on my immediate left)?

Abhi: Speaking of oft-repeated anecdotes that never cease to amuse us, this one is high on my list as well.

1:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, what drink did you order? It looks good. I think I've been there before.

10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home