New Every Morning

Monday, August 20, 2007

Is there such a thing as healthy regret?

Keller, in a sermon entitled "Love Beyond Degree", says the following:

"There's things that have happened to us, and we have scars, and they're bad, and they still hurt, and yet the insight or the character or the strength that we've gotten from it, we wouldn't trade for anything."

I think that's a good definition of healthy regret. Imagine losing a child. You'll feel that loss as long as you're alive, even if that loss leads to wonderful things... Perhaps a deeper relationship with God. Perhaps a closer bond with your family. Perhaps a deeper appreciation for every day you have with the people you love. But an appreciation of the good that has come out of a loss doesn't mitigate the grief that's associated with its memory.

Similarly, when you think back to a time you've wronged someone you really care about, you feel the regret of having caused that person sorrow. Oftentimes, the remorse you feel for what you've done (and the resulting consequences of that action on the person you love) is an impetus to change the way you live your life. I think that's the rationale behind what Keller is saying, that you wouldn't want to change what happened for anything, even if at first you couldn't have believed that something positive would come of your suffering.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i like it. and i might steal it for my own ramblings :) its hard to realize when you're in the thick of it, but its so true - suffering, regret, those build character more than the good stuff.

8:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, so I have a slight disagreement ... I really like the thoughts, but I think the example of losing a child doesn't quite fall into the category of "healthy regret". Because I think you can only ever regret something when you've actively done something (or not done something) ... i.e., regret doesn't apply when something's happened to you that you had no control over. But if you're referring to regretting the way you felt about it or acted in reaction to it, maybe ...

But reading the blog again, I see that you're referring to Keller's sermon as "healthy regret". You know, I think it's the title I disagree with ... I'd use "healthy acceptance" rather than "healthy regret".

Here's the problem: first example is applicable to his sermon (because it's something that happens to you), and second one isn't (because it's something you've done). Then again, you listened to the whole sermon, I didn't :)

So, final solution:

Title = Healthy acceptance, delete second example

Then, create second blog with title Health regret, and use second example.

Ha ha, rambling ... gotta go.

6:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, what happened to the blog?!!!!!!!! It's been a month since the last entry!! More, more ...

7:27 PM  
Blogger Kris said...

anonymous: Thanks. Pilfer away. ; )

sis: I like that you're reading my blog critically. Such a consultant. lol. But you're right... I think I got carried away trying to make a point about something from an in-person conversation I was having with someone, so I had a hidden agenda.

3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home