Oh, how I love your law! I meditate on it all day long. - Psalm 119:97
In my fellowship group this evening, during our discussion of how our attitude to the commandments is different from that of the speaker of Psalm 119, it dawned on me that the Psalmist saw the commandments as an insight into the character of God. That was a huge realization for me, that the commandments aren't just prohibitions that we have to follow. The rules that God establishes reflect his characteristics, much like the instruction of a parent to a child reflects the values they hold dear. For example, a god who commands us to love, above all else, must be such a compassionate and caring god. Likewise, every commandment is a pathway that leads back to a revelation about God's character. That's why the Psalmist loved to meditate on the Lord's decrees.

2 Comments:
What a revelation. Only the Spirit of the Lord can reveal such great mysteries. God's word is true, living and active.
God created man in His own image.If somehow in our imagination we are able to recreate all the qualities of perfect man/woman in one being we have perhaps a faint hint of who God really is.And as we reflect on who God is we see a picture of the image we carry in ourselves individually.Unfortunately the image of God often bears no resemblance to our self image because many of us suffer from a low self imageI find that my self esteem is the lowest when I am least reflecting the image of God. I feel best about myself when I have selflessly reached out to someone in need and given with no thought od reward or of self.It is only when my thought is submerged that God's image begins to shine forth.Then I have a healthy self image that truly reflects God's image.
Post a Comment
<< Home