New Every Morning

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Beckham Gives Up Football; Takes Up Soccer

So it looks like the rumors are true and Beckham is indeed crossing the Atlantic. He's joining Major League Soccer's Los Angeles Galaxy. It's a sensible move, I think, from both sides. He's getting older and hasn't contributed much on the field since leaving Manchester United and joining his current club, Real Madrid. And LA seems like the perfect next destination for the man who helped make 'metrosexual' a commonplace term.

I think - more than by his playing prowess, and I don't mean to diminish his talent - he adds value to MLS by bringing his celebrity to American soccer. I feel like he's a brand pretty much by himself, though I'm sure it doesn't hurt to be married to Posh Spice. I've heard they're like the big celebrity couple in the UK. I remember them appearing on "Da Ali G Show" once. That's my barometer for how famous people over there are. lol.

Actually, I am excited about Beckham's arrival because I'm hoping he will make soccer more popular in America. I feel like people here would really come to embrace the sport if it was given a little bit more exposure, and not just once every four years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home