New Every Morning

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Faith Overcomes Fear

The following passage is from the eighth chapter of Martin Luther King, Jr.'s autobiography, at a time in his life right after he has received yet another death threat:

I got out of bed and began to walk the floor. I had heard these things before, but for some reason that night it got to me. I turned over and tried to go to sleep, but I couldn't sleep. I was frustrated, bewildered, and then I got up. Finally I went to the kitchen and heated a pot of coffee. I was ready to give up. With my cup of coffee sitting untouched before me I tried to think of a way to move out of the picture without appearing a coward. I sat there and thought about a beautiful little daughter who had just been born. I'd come in night after night and see that little gentle smile. I started thinking about a dedicated and loyal wife, who was over there asleep. And she could be taken from me, or I could be taken from her. And I got to the point that I couldn't take it any longer. I was weak. Something said to me, "You can't call on Daddy now, you can't even call on Mama. You've got to call on that something in that person that your Daddy used to tell you about, that power that can make a way out of no way." With my head in my hands, I bowed over the kitchen table and prayed aloud. The words I spoke to God that midnight are still vivid in my memory: "Lord, I'm down here trying to do what's right. I think I'm right. I am here taking a stand for what I believe is right. But Lord, I must confess that I'm weak now, I'm faltering. I'm losing my courage. Now, I am afraid. And I can't let the people see me like this because if they see me weak and losing my courage, they will begin to get weak. The people are looking to me for leadership, and if I stand before them without strength and courage, they too will falter. I am at the end of my powers. I have nothing left. I've come to the point where I can't face it alone."

It seemed as though I could hear the quiet assurance of an inner voice saying, "Martin Luther, stand up for righteousness. Stand up for justice. Stand up for truth. And lo, I will be with you. Even until the end of the world."

I tell you I've seen the lightning flash. I've heard the thunder roar. I've felt sin breakers dashing trying to conquer my soul. But I heard the voice of Jesus saying still to fight on. He promised never to leave me alone. At that moment I experienced the presence of the Divine as I had never experienced Him before. Almost at once my fears began to go. My uncertainty disappeared. I was ready to face anything.

Read the passage above once more.

It's probably a passage many of you have never read, but it adds great depth to the understanding of Martin Luther King, Jr.'s character. I, for one, have even more respect for this great man as I begin to realize a little more clearly just how difficult it was for him to take a stand for righteousness. This man who transformed a nation was at the precipice, looking down at despair below, and he was leaning forward. In the midst of his turmoil, he turned to God, and God gave him the assurance to carry on. I'm encouraged by that because the same God who promised to never leave him alone has promised to never leave us alone.

Hebrews 13:5:

5 ... God has said,
"Never will I leave you;
never will I forsake you."

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joshua 1;5-6 " As I was with Moses, so will I be with you; I will never leave you nor forsake you. Be strong and courageous because you will lead these people to inherit the land ...." This is what God told Joshua the great leader and we know that he was fearful about leading Israel into the promised land in the face of grave adversity.

It reminds me of the old saying 'Courage is Fear that has said its prayers'. Often, when we ask God for guidance, what we really want is a guide.
And then we can find rest in His word: "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go". Joshua 1:9
Like CS Lewis said "courage is not one virtue but it is seen at the testing point of every virtue.
Not only the great leaders but all of us face this fear but our faith will carry us through.

8:49 AM  
Blogger Kris said...

I like that idea, that courage is not a single virtue, but rather the testing point of every virtue.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Dad.

10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home