The days you work are the best days. - Georgia O'Keefe
Now, some of you may be wondering what someone like me, who quit their job in the hopes of finding some greater "calling", knows about working. Why would I post this quote on my blog? Because it's about days you work and not days when you're at work. I believe there's a huge difference between the two. There are days when a lot of us are at work and if we had to fill out a time sheet at the end of the week with information about what we did each day, we would be hard-pressed to remember what we did on Tuesday. That's not working. I'm not saying that there aren't days at work when you really do work. I'm just saying that being at work isn't necessarily the same as really working.
But even at work, the days that are most fulfilling, really, are the days when you contribute something meaningful. Extrapolate from that to life. Some of my best memories are of days where I did something that was difficult, when I expended myself completely. Many of those days I accomplished something that I wasn't sure I could accomplish, and many of those days I didn't succeed at whatever it was I was trying to do. Regardless, what I remember is the dropping from exhaustion, deliriously giddy from the effort. Sometimes this has come in the form of physical exercise, sometimes in the fleshing out of an idea, and sometimes in the building of a relationship. On those days, I feel like I've really lived.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home