I've been wondering today about why it is that people put so much effort into a relationship in its infancy, but as the relationship matures, they revert to a more callous way of dealing with one another. I know the case could be made that what appears to be callousness is in fact a greater level of comfort where both people can be real with each other. Perhaps, but there are still ways of relating that we predominantly use when we are first nurturing relationships that have value in the further stages of a relationship's development.
For example, when I'm first getting to know someone, I tend to be more patient with the other person and less judgmental of them. As I get to know them though, especially as I begin to consider the person a friend, I expect so much from the other person that I am much more critical of them when they disappoint me. And if they disappoint me in a particular way once, I expect that it won't happen again and I'm not patient while they work towards improving themselves with regard to that facet of their personality. For me, I know that I need to remember that people are a continual work in progress, that people develop at their own pace, and that I need to be supportive rather than critical even when that development doesn't take place according to my timetable. Heck, my own development often doesn't happen according to my timetable and the people who are my supports are both patient and nonjudgmental with me, so it would be hypocritical were I not understanding in the same way with other people.
Anyone have other examples?

3 Comments:
Relationship is very important to God. God created human beings in His own image to have fellowship with them. When man sinned, we lost his pure nature, and we have a marred image of ourself. We lost our first love to God and we replace it with other things. We do the same with our worldly relationship also. The only remedy is to channel our love through the cross and ask Lord to keep the relationship be washed by the blood of Jesus . Then the Holy Spirit will give us wisdom to cherish the friendship and it will bear good fruit. A tree is known by the fruit it bears and not by the initial green leaves it produces.There is freshness and growth in relationship when we learn to love others unconditionally. God bless us to bear good fruits all the time.
Interesting blog mate. A case of familiarity breeding complacency... or is it perhaps an indication that our approach lacks real sustenance. Maybe something as simple as, seeing someone too much??
enjoying your homilies, even blogging the bible might I add.
have a pint on me.
Guiness.
Dad, I liked your analogy. A tree is valued not by the green leaves it first produces, but by the fruit it later bears. The green leaves are just a sign of vitality, an indication that the coming fruit will be plenteous in quantity and flavorful in quality. In much the same way, how you are in the beginning of a relationship is important, but primarily because that is indicative of how you will be in the future. The green leaves are valued in as much as they reflect continued growth.
My "anonymous" friend, thanks for the encouragement. And I do think a lot of our taking someone for granted is because we know the relationship will weather our occasional bouts of ill temper. Knowing that, however, is it negligent of us to throw a tantrum because we know we can get away with it?
Post a Comment
<< Home