New Every Morning

Sunday, May 21, 2006

Making a virtue of necessity, as they say, we shall not desire to be healthy when ill or free when imprisoned, any more than we now desire to have bodies of a material as indestructable as diamond or wings to fly like the birds. But I admit that it takes long practice and repeated meditation to become accustomed to seeing everything in this light. In this, I believe, lay the secret of those philosophers who in earlier times were able to escape from the dominion of fortune and, despite suffering and poverty, rival their gods in happiness. Through constant reflection upon the limits prescribed for them by nature, they became perfectly convinced that nothing was in their power but their thoughts, and this alone was sufficient to prevent them from being attracted to other things. Their mastery over their thoughts was so absolute that they had reason to count themselves richer, more powerful, freer and happier than other men who, because they lack this philosophy, never achieve such mastery over all their desires, however favoured by nature and fortune they may be. - Descartes, Discourse on the Method, Section 26

I don't know if I agree with Descartes' assertion that we are masters only of our own thoughts, but that may be just because I'm uncomfortable with the idea that we're not at least in some control of our fate, but that's another discussion for another day.

Besides, there is a part of me that feels that control is just an illusion. Maybe all we can be certain of being able to maintain in life is a positive attitude. We have no idea how our lives will change from moment to moment. But I feel that's almost irrelevant. Contentment, as Descartes observes, doesn't belong to those who are favored by nature and fortune, but by those who have mastery over their desires, and by extension, over their thoughts.

Let me leave you with the following, the witness of a man who found contentment in every circumstance:

I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength. - Philippians 4:11-13 (NIV)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home