New Every Morning

Sunday, April 30, 2006

Part of the following quote is mentioned in "Akeelah and the Bee", a heart-stirring movie I saw last night:

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us most. We ask ourselves, "Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and famous?" Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in all of us. And when we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others. - Marianne Williamson

I definitely recommend the movie:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/akeelah_and_the_bee/

Coming back to the quote:

There are things each of us, in our hearts, knows that we can do better than anyone else. Yet we hold back, out of some inexplicable fear of being great. Are we afraid that if we prove, to everyone else as well as to ourselves, that we are that good, we won't be able to shoulder the responsibilities that come with the knowledge of that power?

From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked. - Luke 12:48 (NIV)

Are we afraid to find out how much we've been entrusted with, for fear that it's more than we would have assigned ourselves, if we'd have had to make that decision? There's a reason though that that's not our decision to make. Our responsibility is simply to do all we can with all we've been given, and if not for ourselves, for the people who observe our actions and are liberated to do the same with their lives. Every one of my heroes has made me want to do and be more. One day, will your children look at you and be inspired by your courage, because you did all you could with all you'd been given?

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

It's sooooooo wierd that yesterday someone read that same exact quote to me.

Hmmm. I'll comment later though.

5:33 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ok. Kris, your blog is becoming eerily quiet. I think there's an echo... Hellooooooooooooooooo! Woo, you aren't even in here!

Anyways. This is a powerful quote. I've always believed that we should do everything we can to grow, but it's easier said than done. For one thing, we have to deal with 'others' and those others do not always welcome changes in us.

I don't think that this is malicious. Maybe it's more that the people in our lives love us for who we are, and that since growth is always change, they may not want us to become something other than who we are.

Oh, I'm rambling on again aren't I?

OK. But seriously. We need to develope some new strategies to get people in here. What about a raffle? Hmm? Free prizes, people LOOOOVE free stuff. Or a sale! Like, two comments for the price of one...

3:39 PM  
Blogger Kris said...

I haven't been writing as frequently, and part of that is because I am a little discouraged that more people aren't contributing.

Still, one of the main reasons I started this blog is to work through my own thoughts, regardless of whether that process helps one person (me) or a hundred. Therefore, I will make an effort to be better about sharing more regularly.

Also, how do we tackle this free rider problem? I know how many people visit this site and are regular visitors, based on StatCounter statistics. There are normally about forty return visitors every single weekday. We're all well aware that contributions come from a much smaller number of people. Is the raffle the way to go? I was thinking more along the lines of cold calling people. I'll send them an email, or call them, and ask them to share a thought for the day. My fear though is that I will suddenly be hearing a lot of people's voice mails. lol.

4:09 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Kris. Or you can always offer a prize for best post of the day/week... whatever.

But you know. Even without comments, your blog is great. I am sure that even those who don't say anything come away with something to think about. In the end, that's all that really matters. Right?

Besides I kinda like being your blog superstar!

4:14 PM  
Blogger Kris said...

You're right, Superstar. And you keep on keepin' on. Your participation is what keeps this dialogue from becoming a monologue.

5:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home