something Val sent me yesterday:
To the degree we're not living our dreams, our comfort zone has more control of us than we have over ourselves. - Peter McWilliams
So true. I think that, every day, you should do one thing that is beyond your comfort zone. If you have a hard time speaking up in a group, for example, decide that you will speak at today's company meeting? If that seems too daunting, as a first step, present an idea to your friends or your family about something/anything that's important to you. Your delivery may be nervous and awkward, but you will learn from the experience and you will have become a more confident speaker. Remember that whatever task you choose for yourself, it must be something that you find difficult.
Here's my challenge: I want someone to do something that's difficult for them, and then share the experience with the rest of us. See? Now you have the added incentive of being able to encourage others with your courage. Any takers?
Keep in mind that you can post without divulging your identity. Though, even that could be something you take baby steps at overcoming today, if you're someone who finds it difficult to share.

2 Comments:
I did that for a long time about a year ago. I've suffered from extreme shyness for most of my life, so one New Year, I decided to do one thing that frightened me a day.
At first it was literally just saying hello to people I came in contact with. But by the end of it, I was doing all of the things I'd wanted to do for ever but was too shy to.
In the end, not only had I lost my shyness, but at times I would even be obnoxiously loud mouthed. I've since tamed my verbosity down a little to where I am just less timid, but still myself.
It was a great experiment because it really changed my view of the world, and of myself. Had someone dared me to do even one of the things I managed to do at the end of my year - I would have died on the spot. But by stepping out of my comfort zone little by little, I realized that all the barriers I thought surrounded me were in fact illusions.
It's been some time since that experiment - but the results have lasted. I am no longer the shy, timid, silent person in the corner. If I want to (I don't always!), I can very easily now step into the center and not feel exposed.
I've been thinking about what I'd like to see change in my life NOW. The one thing missing is probably travel, and paiting. Instead of dreaming of far away places and perfect vacations, I'm going to try booking little hops to new cities, then countries, and see where the current takes me. And as for the painting - well as soon as I publish this post, I'm picking up a pen and ordinary paper, and I'm going to sketch.
I know we've spoken about this before, but it's so great to hear that taking a step each day to do something that you found terrifying has made you a better version of yourself. More power to you, and thank you so much for sharing.
Post a Comment
<< Home