New Every Morning

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

I went camping last week at Assateague Island National Seashore, a national park in Maryland/Virginia. It was fun, but the weather made for difficult camping. Suvash, Naomi, and I definitely "roughed it". We had no sleeping bags the first night. Let's just say that we were expecting more pleasant conditions. I mean, it is July.

There are wild horses and deer and all manner of smaller animals at Assateague. They're not afraid of people at all. Here's a deer that walked right up to Naomi. There's another great picture, of a horse nuzzling Suvash. I'll post that one too as soon as Suvash sends me the pictures from his camera.

It poured the very first evening we were there. Luckily, we set up tent right as the downpour was beginning. We still got wet, but at least we had a dry place to sleep. Well, until the winds unhooked part of the rain cover at like 4 in the morning, but that's a whole another story.

Here are my two camping buddies. They were great the whole trip, upbeat in spite of the beating nature gave us. When it started to rain, we decided we'd have fun regardless and stayed out there, shivering next to a fire we had built that was more aesthetic than functional in terms of keeping us warm as it just poured and poured and poured. A lot of people would have run for cover, disappointed that their trip had been washed out, but not us. Pneumonia sheumonia.

It was a fun trip, but I think Naomi summed it up well when her roommate asked her how it went and she replied, "Long." That cracked me up.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I'll remember that trip for the rest of my life! You guys were the best camping buddies in the world...

5:54 PM  
Blogger Kris said...

Likewise, Ms. Capdevielle, likewise.

6:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home